[ NNSquad ] Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service

----- Forwarded message from Joe Baptista <baptista@publicroot.org> -----

Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:18:56 -0500
From: Joe Baptista <baptista@publicroot.org>
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone
	Service]
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>
Cc: nnsquad@nnsquad.org

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> wrote:

> > If there are perceived problems with using IP then fix them—let’s not
> > maintain myths about the security of the PSTN (even if 2400hz has been
> > patched) or that it even exists as much of the traffic is over IP or

I'm not sure what you mean by 2400 hz. I think the original author meant
2600 hz tone which caused a telephone switch to think the call was over and
could be exploited to provide free long-distance and international calls.

  [ (KP) - OK boys and girls, let's keep the MF, Blue Boxes, and
    related old-school phone freaking signals out of this discussion
    for now {uh, yes, it's 2600, not 2400 - Wanna hear
    me whistle "26"?  Never mind ... } - (ST)

    Man, I'm sure glad this year is almost over ...

regards
joe baptista <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking#cite_note-robson-1>

----- End forwarded message -----