[ NNSquad ] Regulated vs. Unregulated Telecom (and History)

Apropos Rahul's questions regarding regulated vs. unregulated telecom
services and related history, below is a relevant excerpt from an
e-mail message I wrote yesterday in response to comments I received
from my posting of:

"Search Neutrality" and Propaganda Deluxe
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000658.html

 - - - - - - - -

   [ E-mail excerpt begins ]

   You're also right that guaranteed telco rate of return, etc. are
   history.  But I would argue that this is much less important than the
   fact that the privileged, monopoly history of the big telephone and
   cable ISPs is precisely why they remain so powerful today, and why I
   believe a renewed regulatory focus on their activities is called for.

   For example, while Verizon has certainly spent lotsa bucks
   on FiOS and other new technologies, I'm willing to bet that the
   company has also benefited nicely from existing rights of way,
   easements, pole attachment agreements, underground conduits and
   vaults, and other infrastructure that often date back to monopoly days
   in many served areas -- and are now being repurposed for FiOS and the
   like.  These are all monopoly-era advantages that any newcomer
   wouldn't have.  (I hasten to add that in most areas, the situation is
   similar with the original monopoly cable provider, where we've also
   seen massive national consolidation.)  These advantages have also been
   useful in the building out of mobile networks, especially for the
   original "B" wireline mobile carriers.

   This is perhaps even more stark with AT&T.  The buried cable running
   behind my house (man, do I have stories about that cable!) was placed
   (along with a couple of now decrepit buried drops per house -- getting
   more means paying for expensive trenching by customers) almost half a
   century ago.  AT&T is now leveraging that copper and related
   infrastructure for unregulated U-verse services that were naturally
   never contemplated when arrangements were made with housing developers
   and the City of L.A. way back then.  But if not for that history, AT&T
   wouldn't be in this advantageous position today vs. potential ISP
   competitors.  Same for the local cable co. (now TWC, yet another of
   the big boys in control).

   The power of this history is also demonstrated by the relative
   scarcity of true competitive ISP overbuilds -- and the extreme
   cherry-picking of lucrative areas for those when they do occur.  Will
   Verizon customers in West L.A. ever see U-verse?  Will I in the AT&T
   West San Fernando Valley part of the same city ever see FiOS?  Not
   completely impossible perhaps, but obviously we shouldn't hold our
   breaths.

   The bottom line on all this is that I consider it essential that the
   large, historically advantaged ISPs -- who wield power now directly
   as a result flowing from their privileged status over time -- should
   be appropriately regulated in ways that are not occurring currently.

   And I feel that attempts to drag Web services such as Google into the
   ISP Net Neutrality regulatory sphere (e.g. through concepts such as
   "search neutrality") are not justified based on either history nor
   ongoing practices, and that such efforts are mainly diversionary
   tactics fostered by some supporters of entrenched telecom interests.

   --Lauren--

   [ E-mail excerpt ends ]