[ NNSquad ] Re: [BarryDGold@ca.rr.com: Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service]

Lauren,

I will mention that cell cites in developing regions are designed to
work not hours but sometimes days without grid power.

Reliability isn't the only issue at hand.  There is something subtle
that needs thinking through in terms of regulated, unrelated, and
in-between services. The COPPER of voice lines is the reason DSL came
to be, and the biggest cost in fiber is not the fiber itself but
getting it laid.  We (consumers) paid for the copper via our regulated
voice services. For any carrier to put in advanced infrastructure,
will anything be left that is regulated (or that we *wish* to
regulate)?  Advanced infrastructure costs more, esp. if we consider it
an overlay. They would thus require advanced services to be bought.
Can we see AT&T or any other carrier saying the "end POTS" if the only
service they had to offer was plain old voice (with voice-value adds
like voicemail)?

The other thing I keep thinking about but don't have full data for is
how termination fees are handled. From in-state vs. out-of-state to
rural vs. urban, there were many games/distortions in the system.
What is to say the new system won't have (or need, to get started or
be viable) such cross-subsidies?

Rahul