[ NNSquad ] Re: AT&T: Bandwidth-wise, the sky is falling!

Bob Poortinga wrote:
In regard to issues such as this, I think it is important for Net Neutrality
proponents to focus the argument on Internet service and not be involved
or concerned with other services that may be carried over the same
backbones such as subscription video.  What we want to prevent is
AT&T or other large bandwidth providers offering a "service" that allows
content providers such as Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft to pay (or be
held ransom) for favored treatment.

I have very strong mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it is standard that those who pay more get better service. If this were not the case, I would be entitled to the same outgoing bandwidth from my home system as, say, YouTube. (Not that I could make effective use of it with my two 2GHz desktops...)

That is obviously not the case. I pay for a DOCSIS cable connection that peaks out at about 3Mbits/second downstream, 1 Mb/sec upstream and in practice often delivers significantly less Never mind, it's good enough for what I use it for. YouTube probably pays for many GBits/sec upstream, and expects guaranteed bandwidth -- at least as far as their ISP(s) connection to the backbone -- for their money.

So in principle, the idea of charging more for more bandwidth/better service comes from the very beginnings of commercial internet service. Even before AOL started offering the Internet to the general public, many private businesses (with no connection to the Defense contractors and Educational institutions that the Arpanet/Internet was originally created for) bought Internet connections via leased lines. And the more you paid, the bigger the bandwidth you got.

This idea -- pay more, get more/better -- is pretty deeply embedded in capitalism. Even if sometimes the "better" is just the brand name on the package (I doubt if there's any significant difference between Bayer aspirin and CVS's house brand, frex., but Bayer costs almost twice as much).

Except...

When you pay for a connection to the net, you have a direct relationship with your ISP. It's only proper that you pay for what you use. But if you pay for better treatment on the Backbone carriers -- or worse yet on ISPs that serve your end-users -- there is no such relationship. This more closely resembles the days of the Barbary pirates, who would levy a charge on all ships passing by their coasts (if you didn't pay, they took your ship and cargo). Needless to say, this was found intolerable, and the US sent the Navy to attack Tripoli and other North African areas.

At the moment, the vast majority of goods in the US are shipped by truck, often many thousands of miles. Imagine the effect on commerce if every truck had to pay a toll to every city they passed through, or be detoured onto surface streets. (For that matter, imagine the effect on local traffic if all that truck traffic were detoured onto those streets).

I will note that there _are_ a few toll roads in the US and quite a few toll bridges. However, the amount charged is generally small -- small enough that even daily commuters can afford it. But if trucking had to stop at _every_ city and _every_ bridge to pay tolls, you can bet that COngress would exercise its authority under the Interstate Commerce clause of the Constitution and put an end to the practice.

For the same reason, I don't think that relegating non-privileged users of the Internet to "the bus lane" (to quote the CEO of Virgin Media) is going to fly, at least not in the US. The public won't tolerate it, the numerous small businesses that rely on the Internet for much of their sales won't tolerate it, and ultimately neither Congress nor the FCC will tolerate it.