[ NNSquad ] Re: AT&T: Bandwidth-wise, the sky is falling!

"Scott Francis" <darkuncle@gmail.com> comments on NANOG:

> A cynical person might be tempted to think it was all a scare tactic to
> soften up legislators for the next wave of "reasonable network
> management" practices that just happen to have significant revenue
> streams attached to them ...

Since Mr Cicconi is vice president of legislative affairs for AT&T, it seems
reasonable to assume that the target audience of his comments is
legislators and one has to consider the motives and agenda of AT&T
that are behind his comments.  AT&T is now competing with Comcast in
delivering TV/video content to consumers which consumes far more
bandwidth than simple Internet service (and generates far more revenue).
They want to be able to manage their pipes to provide QOS for their video
subscription services and not be compelled to provide the same QOS
for internet service.  And there is no question that their TV/video service
uses orders of magnitude greater bandwidth than internet service.  Hence,
there is some truth in his comments as AT&T continues to expand
their TV/video service into new markets.

Additionally, AT&T is always looking for government handouts; whether it
is in the form of less regulation, tax credits, or other favorable treatment.
In Indiana, the state legislators gave away the bank to AT&T on unfulfilled
promises of more rural internet investment and service.

In regard to issues such as this, I think it is important for Net Neutrality
proponents to focus the argument on Internet service and not be involved
or concerned with other services that may be carried over the same
backbones such as subscription video.  What we want to prevent is
AT&T or other large bandwidth providers offering a "service" that allows
content providers such as Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft to pay (or be
held ransom) for favored treatment.

--
Bob Poortinga K9SQL
Bloomington, IN US